Sunday, June 17, 2018

June 15th - A Little Something On The Line



For the World Cup this year, I entered into two friendly wagers, one on the WC winner and one on the top goal scorer.  The main bet features a drawing giving out each country and at the end of the tournament the individual holding the winning country wins the pot.  Out of the four sets of countries drafted, I have by far the lowest odds of wining the tournament, but I remain optimistic for two reasons.  

First, If there is one player I do not want to see win the World Cup it would be Cristiano Ronaldo.  Of course this means that one of my best two teams picked would be Portugal.  It pains me to say, but Ronaldo’s brilliant hat trick in the first game is a major warning sign that Portugal could be a legitimate threat. If I am going to have to suffer through a month of seeing the despised Ronaldo celebrate, I will at least have a little money to ease the frustration.  

Second, The ultimate dark horse of Belgium.  Once all the traditional soccer powerhouses were picked I found myself desperately hoping for Belgium.  They have the talent to rival almost any country in the tournament, but have never seemed to be able to put it all together.  I couldn’t help but celebrate when I pulled out Belgium and my hope for the unlikely grew.  If De Bruyne can continue his red-hot form and create something beautiful with the laundry list of stars on the squad, I could see this Dark Horse bringing home their first WC. 


The prize for choosing the Golden boot winner is a new 2018 WC jersey.  My hopes seem to rest heavily on the shoulders of Diego Costa after a brace in his first game.  However, I would LOVE Roberto Firmino or Edinson Cavani to surprise me and have a break out tournament.  If they do, I will gladly rock the pure samba happiness that comes with a Firmino Brazil kit or the baby blue jersey of Uruguay’s Cavani. 

-Miguel

No comments:

Post a Comment